HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:26:17 -0400
On Oct 17, 2011, at 2:11 PM, Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA wrote:

> Sandra,
> Wish I could help with a reference for the pump -- I'm presuming you mean the hand nozzle, yes? Or do you mean the above-ground box that housed a pump? I do know that most farms and ranches did not and do not have underground tanks, except, perhaps for REALLY big outfits (even then?). Underground tanks are VERY expensive to install, more so to remove, and there are a host of regulations for them, even before the days of environmental laws.
Sorry but I have to disagree. Any farmer with a backhoe attachment or access to one from a neighbor often installed tanks. Where I grew up in VA, there were two, one for gas and one for diesel, both below ground. Both were electric and were the rectangular box types sitting on concrete stands. These were in place in the late 1950's. The farm was most decidedly not a big operation, being 350 acres with another 150 rented off the island (yes it was a real island until about 1916).

Also, there's another consideration in that some farmers had tanks that were on the back of trucks, often older 6-wheeler types, but also in the last 50 years mounted in pick-up trucks. These were used for field refueling.

Lyle Browning, RPA