Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 01:08:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I have been asked to advise a NICU on the purchase of a breastmilk freezer, fridge, milk storage system, and scanning label system.  NICU is not my usual specialty area. I recall reading bits and pieces about this topic although I did not pay particular attention at the time.  Am I correct in thinking: 1) That a commercial grade fridge/freezer is not necessary?  2) A dedicated fridge and a dedicated freezer is better than a combo unit (space permitting)?  3) A chest freezer holds a better temperature but an upright freezer is more practical for freuqent, daily use?  4)  Most any box system is acceptable so long as it is properly assigned, labeled, covered (to protect from spills) and thoroughly cleaned before reassigned to next patient?  5) I have no personal experience with milk scanning systems.  Are they stand alone (or unit specific/unit origianted) pieces of software/equipment or do they integrate from within the pharmacy electronic systems for medication administration?  Finally, where could I access current industry standards for mandantory tempertature ranges that need to be maintained within these cooling/freezing units?  
Thank you for your assistance.  

Shannon, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2