From:
Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:51:11 -0500
Brenda, You may have already heard about this, but I will send it just in case you haven't.
For some reason we don't know, the body decided to grow skin over a nipple pore. Also, for some reason, that is VERY irritating to the nipple pore! The ones I've seen look like tiny, swollen  donuts. The history of the literature of recommendations is as follows:
First, people recommended to use a warm compress on the affected breast then nurse the baby and all would be well. Nope.
Then, some said to use mild abrasion with a washcloth to open the pores. Nope again.
Then the recommendation was to go to the doctor and ask him/her to lift the top off of the blister. Many doctors would not do it, and many moms would not ask. This is from my own wexperience and that of  the moms I've counselled with milk blisters: They do not go away without strict, daily attention for about *three* weeks. Mom can sterilize a needle, cool it, and lift the top skin off the blister herself, from the side, with no pain. The skin must *not* be pulled off, but it may be trimmed off with the sterilized tip of a pair of cuticle scissors. If the skin is not trimmed off, mom must be prepared to lift the skin before nursings, and then after nursing, apply a barrier ointment such as lanolin or triple antibiotic ointment (no neosporin), to keep the skin frm reattaching where it was before. The mom may want to consider Dr. Ruth Lawrence's recommendation about taking lecithin; I found sunflower seed lecithen instead of soy. The mom may need to take skin health-supporting supplements such as vitamin A (or better, beta carotene-containing veggies), vitamin C, omega 3's, and zinc. I hope that helps. Rowena
Rowena Tucker IBCLC
Bryan, Texas