From:
Sarah Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2012 09:55:53 +0100
On 14/05/2012 06:01, Maria Paciullo wrote:

>>> yes, it is 205 Canadian….and there are more than 20 excellent presentations, including Roy Philip re breastmilk and premature babies.  We all know the science is there re morbidity rates for babies fed with artificial substitutes v. human milk.

Absolutely, and I am in no way disputing that the research shows clear
and significant differences between *breastfeeding* and formula
feeding.  However, for the reasons I've already given, it isn't valid to
make assumptions that all these differences will persist when the human
milk in question is donated pasteurised milk fed from a bottle.  There
are simply so many differences between that and breastfeeding.

>>>     In any case, here is a link to just one article
> http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/6/1/8

Thank you - I greatly appreciate you taking the trouble to look this out
for me.  However, it didn't actually address any of the concerns I'd
raised re. differences between donor milk/breastmilk or cost-effectiveness.

I would also add that Akre's take on the subject is rather different
from the viewpoint I was countering here.  Akre is arguing for informal
milk sharing networks to remain available for parents who choose to use
them, in the context of 'acknowledging that, here as elsewhere, parents
are responsible for making informed choices about what is best for their
children'.  The view that I was disputing, as expressed by a poster on
here, is that milk donation should entirely *replace* formula.  That's a
very different matter indeed, and, in addition to the concerns I've
already spent some time detailing, is effectively the antithesis of the
attitude that parents are responsible for making informed choices about
what is best for their children.  If this situation ever were to be
brought about - i.e. that donor milk was made the only alternative to
breastfeeding, and formula was no longer produced - that would, in
effect, force that choice on those parents who would have wished to
chose formula over donor milk.

I would find that extremely objectionable.  Currently, if I were to have
a baby whom I could not fully supply with my own milk, thus leaving me
with a choice between human milk from an informal milk sharing network
and formula milk, I would choose formula.  That is not, as some might
wish to assume, due to ignorance: it is a decision into which I have put
careful thought and research (and one which I am happy to explain if
anyone is curious).  I accept and respect that many women, faced with
that choice, will make a different decision.  In turn, I ask them to
accept and respect mine.  I would *not* be happy with a situation where
my chosen option was removed by external diktat.  So, that is another
reason why I don't agree with the blithe expectation that we should be
able to work towards simply eradicating formula and expecting every
non-breastfeeder or mixed feeder to use donor milk instead.

Thanks for an interesting and lively discussion, and I respect your
decision to agree to differ.

Best wishes,

Dr Sarah Vaughan
MBChB MRCGP