From:
Sarah Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2012 16:40:25 +0100
On 26/05/2012 14:01, Nikki Lee wrote:
> Dear Lactnet Friends:
>
> A post from today includes this statement:
>
> "What we're disagreeing about is whether cow's-milk-based substitutes
> would invariably
> have a higher risk of impact than donor milk substitutes. I
> do not regard that as an evidence-based position at all. Yes, in some
> circumstances
> they clearly do - we have good evidence that use of pasteurised human milk
> in the NICU, rather than formula, reduces the babies' risk of NEC. In many
> - I would go so far as to say most - other
> circumstances that might come up, I think it's pure conjecture that this is
> the case."
>
> The use (production, packaging, transport, storage, and consumption) of
> non-human milks has a high level of impact on Earth's ecology. Our friends
> from Malta made a lovely powerpoint presentation about this about 5 years
> ago. (<
> http://www.slideshare.net/tanyakaye/infant-feeding-affects-climate-change>).
>

> Is the author of this statement saying that once the baby is term, it
> doesn't matter what it is fed? Human or non-human milk makes little
> difference?

No, I'm saying that we have no evidence either way in term babies, and
hence that we should be looking for such evidence before rolling out the
kind of universal replacement of formula with donor milk that you were
advocating.

By the way, Nikki, is there a reason you keep starting new posts with
new titles whenever you reply to this debate, rather than simply
following up to the previous post? Not that it's just you, but this
discussion now seems to be scattered across about half a dozen different
threads, which I suspect is contributing heavily to the difficulty some
people are having in following the points I'm trying to make.

Best wishes,

Dr Sarah Vaughan
MBChB MRCGP