From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 00:30:43 +0200
I've seen one case of type 3 inverted nipples in 22 years, and
breastfeeding was unsuccessful.  The mamilla was confined within a
constricting ring where the base of the nipple would be if it were
everted.
If a nipple is protractile enough to be everted, EVER, then I agree
with Nikki - keeping baby near the breast and keeping the breasts soft
by hand expression *if the baby is not attaching and suckling on its
own*, should be enough to make it possible for breastfeeding to
happen.  Mainly it's a matter of avoiding a lot of unhelpful things,
more than actively doing anything new.  Don't separate mother and
baby, don't offer the baby other nipples or pacifier, don't let
breasts get engorged and hard, and feed the baby expressed colostrum
by spoon until baby gets attached to feed.  Engorgement with tense
swollen breasts is a real menace if nipples tend to invert, and is
usually what leads to breastfeeding failure in most cases of nipples
that tend to go in but can be coaxed out.  I've certainly seen plenty
of type 2 inverted nipples where breastfeeding was barely salvageable
or failed completely after all the crazy stuff that was done
needlessly and without result, in the name of 'helping'.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway