Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 12:34:12 -0400
Pam discusses some of the written and other protocols for feeding babies
who aren't directly nursing...

<<Day 1-2,  60ml/kg/day
Day 2-3,   90ml/kg/day
Day 3-4, 120ml/kg/day>>

Those were the peds protocols in her community in Zimbabwe.  I  find these
amounts HUGE for a newborn.  Santoro's study in 2010 found that  babies in
the first 24 hours of life took approximately 1.5 ml / feed or 15  ml/24
hours.

<Babies who weigh 2.5 kg or more:
150 ml milk per kg body weight per  day.
Divide the total into 8 feeds, and give 3-hourly.>

Depending on the size of the baby, for example, a 3.5 Kg baby would be fed
at least 2 ounces from the first feed on the first day on.

Why aren't we going by the average amount of colostrum we know babies get
in the first couple of days?  If the baby is supplemented with this amount
for the first 24 hours, and then learns to latch and breastfeed, is he going
to  be happy with the small amount of colostrum he is receiving from his
mom if he  has had thanksgiving dinner meal after meal he first 24 hours???

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC,  FILCA