Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:39:39 -0600
These frenums are a "mid-line" defect or genetic modification, so of course it would be more frequent in populations that are more related.  In my practice almost all of the babies I see have some type of lip or tongue issue, since that is really my specialty.  Maybe it's because when something like that is suspected,  they just get sent my way.  I've got two children with this issue.  I was born with it myself.  What I've observed is that most of the parents can identify one or both as having issues as adults (snoring, gum recession, sleep apnea, excessive tooth decay, crooked teeth) that are associated with incomplete apoptosis during prenatal period of the frenums (3).  This is more of a dental issue than a breastfeeding issue, in my mind, because as population area becomes more financially secure, they will care more about appearances and dental health and less about breastfeeding!  I'm being a little facetious here, perhaps.  Anyhow, I have some very funny stories about adults and frenulums who after their children were identified decided to get their issues addressed!  Clipping the frenulum can fix the issue for that child, but it won't remove the genetic component.  Think of it like hemophilia - a mutation that entered the population in the Victorian age or thereabouts.  First it was rare and only among the monarchy, then spread to the general population and is now much more prevalent.  Mutations multiply, they don't cease unless the population carrying the mutation simply dies out.  Among human beings, we care for our injured or less capable, in general, we don't leave them to be killed by wolves! (That's my philosophical statement for the day. And that's why at the beginning formula was invented.)