Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:39:39 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
These frenums are a "mid-line" defect or genetic modification, so of course it would be more frequent in populations that are more related.  In my practice almost all of the babies I see have some type of lip or tongue issue, since that is really my specialty.  Maybe it's because when something like that is suspected,  they just get sent my way.  I've got two children with this issue.  I was born with it myself.  What I've observed is that most of the parents can identify one or both as having issues as adults (snoring, gum recession, sleep apnea, excessive tooth decay, crooked teeth) that are associated with incomplete apoptosis during prenatal period of the frenums (3).  This is more of a dental issue than a breastfeeding issue, in my mind, because as population area becomes more financially secure, they will care more about appearances and dental health and less about breastfeeding!  I'm being a little facetious here, perhaps.  Anyhow, I have some very funny stories about adults and frenulums who after their children were identified decided to get their issues addressed!  Clipping the frenulum can fix the issue for that child, but it won't remove the genetic component.  Think of it like hemophilia - a mutation that entered the population in the Victorian age or thereabouts.  First it was rare and only among the monarchy, then spread to the general population and is now much more prevalent.  Mutations multiply, they don't cease unless the population carrying the mutation simply dies out.  Among human beings, we care for our injured or less capable, in general, we don't leave them to be killed by wolves! (That's my philosophical statement for the day. And that's why at the beginning formula was invented.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of gonneke van veldhuizen
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 8:34 AM
Subject: tongue and lip frenulum

Dear breastfeeding supporters,

Today I got a phone-call from a LLL Leader in Amsterdam who serves predominantly the (orthodox) Jewish community there. (permission to share her request with you) She made an observation that almost the complete population she serves has tight tongue and/or lip frenulums. She did some calling around and found that her colleagues in Antwerp and Israel made the same or similar observations. Information from LLL leaders and others from other communities revealed that there tongue and/or lip frenulum ties are far less common or uncommon.
Are any of you aware of studies or otherwise that do in fact show a connection between religious/cultural/ethnical inheritage and frenulum issues? We are very interested in knowing if there should be a connection, how does that work? Is it genetic (same gene pool)? Does it relate to cultural habits or religious laws regarding life style? Other? Could it be pure coincidence?
I would very much appreciate any input, thoughts, insights who might want to share.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC in PP, LC lecturer, retired LLLL in southern Netherlands

Â
Twitter @eurolacpuntnet

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2