From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 14:43:15 +1000
On 16/05/2012 10:14 AM, Peter L Borst wrote:

 >In Joe's case, I am not clear what the issue is. He states that there
is a separate distinct feral population that can be readily
distinguished from run-of-the-mill >commercial stock but he doesn't say
how,

Here in Australia Dr Ben Oldroyd did some work on this matter.  In the
study area at least, he came to the conclusion that the feral population
was a self sustaining population.

There may be a few reasons for this.  Australia has a notoriously
variable climate from year to year.  In a given year at a given spot
there may be now honey flow at all.  So there will be strong selection
for hives to cope with this.

Also, in most of the natural environment we use, we only move to it
after spring build, when most if not all the swarming will have
happened.  So these places would only rarely have swarms issue from
managed hives.

Geoff Manning