From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:21:45 -0500
Hello all,

Phyllis writes: "How did we get stuck on the term "hospital  grade"? and
Liz wrote:
"There is no such thing as a "hospital-grade  breastpump", which is a suave
marketing term (that absolutely *works* because I  used that phrase for
years). This link is to a nice, accurate article from the  U. S. Food & Drug
Administration (which oversees pump safety/effectiveness).  Pumps are better
described as single- or multi-user."

~~~
I've been thinking about this every day  since the original post. From the
hospital point of view, the terms "single  user" vs. "multi-user" make
sense. From the point of view of moms at home, not  so much. The point in
suggesting a "multi-user" pump to a mom at home with  little or no milk, or a baby
who cannot transfer it, is not that she is using a  pump that can be used by
different mothers safely ( closed system) although  that is a good thing of
course, but more about using a pump that is strong  enough to  support,
maintain, or especially, build a supply that  the baby cannot/has not for some
reason.  These are pumps that can not  only be rented and used safely by
different mothers over time, but  have  been designed to work well when used as
often as baby might nurse(  8-14/24ish.) Personal use or "single-user"
pumps seem to be designed to remove  milk well and comfortably when used a few
times a day, or even more  occasionally, while a healthy, efficiently nursing
baby drives the supply. These  are not the moms I see, or the babies they
have. So even though the "single  user" pumps are only being used by one
single mom, they don't have the oomph,  either right away, or over time, to do
the job these moms need them to do. I may  be alone, but the term
"hospital-grade" makes a kind of sense to me. IF our  world actually viewed
breastfeeding as truly normal, then no baby who could not  breastfeed comfortably and
effectively, either for their own reasons, or because  their moms supplies
have not been "normal" in a timely fashion, would be  discharged from the
hospital without supportive interventions, including  appropriate pumps if
needed,  to help them get there and support them  on the way. We don't normally
send adults home after being in a hospital if they  cannot eat safely and
comfortably, without some interventions to help them, but  every day we send
infants home who cannot get enough to eat safely, comfortably  and/'or
effectively.  ( Yes most of them can formula feed from  a bottle, which is  a
substandard feeding skill, pattern,  and "substitute," biologically speaking in
the view I am  proposing. I am not talking about infants who could not under
any circumstances  be in healthy, exclusive breastfeeding relationships for
some reason any more  than I would talk about every baby will grow up to
walk freely and functionally  without assistive devices. Some won't, but
walking independently still remains  the normative goal for most.) If we truly
viewed breastfeeding as the  expected and always worked-for norm, then no
mother/baby pair would be  discharged if the feeding relationship was not well
established, without some  support interventions to help them, like a
"hospital"-grade pump, the kind  hospitals have. In a way it would be like sending
home a child of walking age,  who isn't walking, without a wheelchair. For
children who need it, a  "casual stroller" would not do, they need a
"hospital-grade" assistive device.

Anyway, just more thoughts on things that circulate in my head. Can we come
 up with better terminology that actually meets the needs of mothers and
others  by being clear,  as well as descriptive of the reasons pumps differ in
 terms of the single mother/baby dyad's needs ( building vs maintaining a
supply,  taking a baby's place a few times a day for separation or
non-medical reasons vs taking a baby's place at most/all feedings because  the
feeding relationship doesn't "work" yet., etc.)

Peace,

Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA