From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:51:19 +0000
Further following this extremely interesting thread, the question was
asked:  What can we do?  One solution would be to go all out for the
Code to be implemented in the US (and in the UK for that matter ...)
Here is a sentence written in a document by someone who used to be with WHO:

The Code does not prevent governments or aid agencies from making
breastmilk substitutes available to HIV-infected mothers, for free or
at a subsidized price, if these institutions purchase them at normal
market prices. It does, however, aim to prevent manufacturers from
donating supplies of breastmilk substitutes or providing them at
reduced price to any part of the health care system ...... . The
International Code requires that donations of formula ....[if any]
must be provided for the full period that the infant needs them,
which is usually for at least one year. After one year, other milks
and foods can more easily replace breastmilk.

Years ago, I went on a fascinating Code-monitoring exercise.  It
involved going into hospitals and obtaining all the invoices to prove
that they had paid at least 80% of the retail price of any formula
used in their prem-baby units, tracking how many tins were purchased
and what happened to the left-overs, seeing it was only needed for a
couple of days before mothers were able to express the full amount
the babies needed.  Formula was never given to healthy full-term
babies in the ordinary postnatal wards, so we didn't need to check
those at all.   It was extremely satisfying!   It IS possible for
this to work - it just takes political will.  But as an outsider, I
see marvellous support being given to breastfeeding in the US now.  I
think you have a chance to get over this hurdle too - the tipping
point is on the horizon!

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England