Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 23:59:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I understand that parts of France have experienced huge problems with hornets such that keeping bees in some regions is very challenged because of this.  With the climate warming up a bit it is anticipated that the hornets will move into UK if they have not already done so.

Do any UK bee keepers on the list have any method to control the hornets in mind or is the wait and see approach being taken?  

This has to be a very significant issue since whilst a hornet attack does not always wipe out a colony it can materially weaken it and if you need to over-winter bees then you do not want to do so with weak colonies.    I ask because we have a hornet problem here (Thailand) but they come after the main nectar flow generally when the rains have set in.  The colonies can recover but only when the cold / dry season approaches and the hornet queens hibernate.  I have not however seen any effective method of control ...  which is why I ask ...

I understand that in the States especially some hornet traps are very effective.  They apparently use the the pheromone Heptyl Butyrate as a lure.  That seems to be found more commonly in plums (but only rarely found here).

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2