Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:39:52 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I suspect that Virginia's response was not directed at women at all but at the frustration of a system that provides women with no choice in relation to maternity leave and commonly enforces long term separation of mother and infant (and therefore breast milk feeding). I know that we've had this discussion many times on Lactnet before but it remains beyond belief to many of us outside of the US that such a barbaric system could be accepted by a Western democracy. 
That's my guess anyway!
Karleen Gribble
Australia
> 
> This talk is directed at women who have to give up some of the normal early mothering experiences due to the demands of their profession, but who are nevertheless prepared to go to great lengths to do the best job they can for their babies even in spite of this major difficulty.  Surely the appropriate response to this is to support and encourage them?  What message does it give if we insist on using a different term for their feeding experience?  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2