From:
Sharon Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:45:19 -0800
My first post in many years. I have run across an unusual (at least for me) situation and I would love to pick your collective brains. I have permission to post.

This is the email I received from a young mom I have been supporting since her baby was born:

"So I have an unusual question for you: have you ever heard of anyone continuing to breastfeed following breast implant removal?
I have implants which may need removing sooner than expected. The procedure can be done under local anesthetic or light sedation, in around 15mins, and you're home right afterwards. The incisions are at the base of the breasts, not through the nipple, and I would not be opting for any additional implants or lifts. Just to get these things out. I was young and foolish when I had them done, and did not see a beautiful baby in my future.
My baby is almost 7-months, and EBF. We have had a great BF experience so far and I can typically pump around 6-8oz every 3-4hrs when at work. Bella feeds on demand at all other times; every 2.5-3.5hrs."

Additional information:
-The implants were done in the UK about 8 years ago. With all the negative news about European implants, she has become concerned about leaving them in;

- Mom is an endurance athlete and has had a few bike crashes, etc. in the last few years (she wonders if she may have had an implant rupture as a result);
- The breast surgeon she saw advised her that the surgery cannot be performed on a lactating woman, and she would need to wean immediately and have the removal surgery in about 2 months;
- The MD told her that an MRI would be the only way to determine whether there had been a rupture but suggested that at $1,000 it would be "too expensive."

I suggested that she consider the MRI, since an all-clear on any rupture would buy her time and allow her to feed her baby at least to a year as she had planned.

I would appreciated any wisdom, insight, or experience on this one.
Thanks so much.

Sharon Watkins, IBCLC, RLC
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266