From:
Bonny Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:01:51 -0400
Hello Wise Ones,

I apologize for this off-topic request as it is not exclusive to lactation, however I am in search of your wisdom, ideas and resources.  While I am a (newly certified) IBCLC, my primary role is still that of a childbirth and breastfeeding educator and the situation at hand is this...

I have been asked to provide a private session with one of my class couple's 9y/o daughter to help prepare her for life with a new baby.  The parents indicated lots of excitement by the big sister, who has been described as wanting to take on the "little mommy" role -- it was mentioned that the older daughter wants to have the baby sleep in her room and that she wants be the one to tend to the baby's night time needs (mom has a non-committal desire to breastfeed), among other things.  The parents expressed a very strong desire to foster a close bond between the siblings and want to try and prevent the older daughter from experiencing *any* jealousy.  I briefly discussed the importance of understanding appropriate roles, responsibilities and boundaries as well as the normal range and changes in emotions that siblings may experience.

As my work has always been with folks >18years and <18mos and I only have one child of my own, I am hoping for some inspiring ideas, resources and/or activities that I may use to help prepare an *older* sibling for their new role in the family.

So as not to bother others on the list with this off-topic feel free to reply to me personally.

Many thanks!
Bonny Reid, MSW, LCCE, IBCLC