From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:32:10 -0400
Elaine, I'm with you. I read blog posts when alerted to them and often marvel at how good they are, but can't see my way clear to following any on a regular basis. Don't know why, I just can't.
Lactnet is sort of a blog-like phenomenon but with input from lots of people.  I especially appreciate the absence of custom-chosen advertising on my screen while I read Lactnet, to the point that I have to force myself to stay on Facebook and Gmail and just blank out those irritating things while I am there.
Wanted to say welcome to Celina Dykstra too - since her intro post was the last thing to be posted in week 2 of August, some of you may have missed it as I did, reading at the archives in a hurry, trying to catch up on everything from the past four or five days.  Celina, I think you will find LN meets your expectations :-)
To get closer to our actual topic, I can say that it is now 6 mos and 1 week since I achieved my grandmother certification and my daughter was told today (by a health professional charged with providing guidance to mothers of young children on all aspects of health and development) in no uncertain terms that her daughter needs to be getting at least two and preferably three meals of baby cereal daily now that she has passed the 6 month mark because 'her iron stores are now GONE'.  All this has been determined with no other diagnostic technology than a calendar!  No blood tests necessary if you can just calculate when half a year has passed since a child's birth.  My daughter countered by saying she was following the advice in the excellent official pamphlet from the national health authorities, given to her by this same health professional, called 'Recommendations for infant nutrition' in which mothers are encouraged to breastfeed exclusively for six months and then start letting the child taste other appropriate foods over the next six months while breastmilk remains the primary source of nourishment.  Meanwhile, the Grand Child is healthy, happy and thriving on breastfeeding, AND spontaneously sleeping 8 or 9 hours at a stretch at night for good measure.  I am willing to bet there hasn't been a happier mother or baby through that well-child center all month, and still this HCP thinks there is something in need of fixing.  I favor the 'if it ain't broke' etc approach; there are enough things we could be working to improve without making trouble for ourselves by mucking things up for those we serve.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway