Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:26:43 -0600
One of my latest tricks on the antibiotic cream is to apply it directly to the hydrogel, spread it around by folding together the gel pad (like you do vaseline on gauze for a circumcision dressing), then apply to the nipple.  No rubbing of the nipple required.  It works WONDERFUL and no pain to mom of rubbing.  You can do it with lanolin products also on a non-infected nipple.  I have moms wipe the remaining (if any) cream off the gel pad with a damp cloth and re-apply before reusing.  In infections, I have found better to use only 24 hour hydrogels as I've seen exacerbation in the ones people reuse for 3-5 days.