From:
Marsha Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:26:03 -0400
Just a couple of quick observations.

1. Renee, please understand that as Chair of the USBC Advocacy Committee it
is not one of my superpowers to be able to tell USBC what to do nor wave my
magic wand to make Nestle and its marketing campaign disappear. USBC is
working behind the scenes on this issue as you have been told many times.
Slinging accusations at myself and USBC will not make the Nestle issue go
away. If you check the current issue of the Journal of Human Lactation you
will see an invited commentary that I wrote which included the Nestle
issue. It is entitled, "Stealth formula marketing--coming soon to a city
near you?" Not all work on this issue makes the headlines, it has not been
forgotten, and we can work on this problem from many angles, not all of
which are highly visible. Each person and organization has its own ways of
working on sticky issues and I ask that you respect both myself and the
USBC as we tackle Nestle and its nefarious marketing tactics.

2. Back to insurance reimbursement. You didn't think I would forget that
did you? The US Lactation Consultant Association will provide a one hour
webinar on "Reimbursement 101" to help those interested in securing third
party reimbursement. This has been rescheduled and an announcement will go
out as soon as the new date and time have been finalized. Aetna will
provide a webinar on August 22 from 2:00-3:00 pm eastern time on the
credentialing process and as a forum to ask questions regarding being part
of the provider network. I find it fascinating that a few people view the
acceptance of the IBCLC as a recognized health care provider with such
anger and doom and gloom. We have been working for so many years on
becoming a recognized member of the health care team, of being able to sit
at the same table as all other health care providers and to receive the
recognition that we deserve for our special expertise. Even the National
Business Group on Health advises the Fortune 500 employers to include
coverage for IBCLC visits in its model employer benefits plan. We do not
need lawyers to negotiate fees for IBCLCs. We have not gone about this the
wrong way with a few ignorant people speaking with insurers. I may be a lot
of things, but I do not consider myself as being stupid or not working in
the best interests of IBCLCs and breastfeeding mothers. As Liz commented,
we have been wishing for access to third party payment for years. This
opportunity will allow hospitals and IBCLCs to be reimbursed for outpatient
services in a hospital setting. It will allow easier reimbursement for
IBCLCs working in physician offices. It may increase the job opportunities
for IBCLCs. But most of all, it gives access to our care to many mothers
who cannot afford it otherwise. IBCLCs are not going to be reimbursed $500
for every visit. You are under no obligation to accept insurance clients in
a private practice. If the insurance reimbursement rates are not enough for
you then don't become a provider in an insurance network. But please do not
accuse me of selling out IBCLCs or not understanding the US healthcare
system.

There are plenty of mothers who need our help. There are many ways to
provide it.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA