From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:52:36 -0300
Most probably EU will change the definition of honey to suppress the
problem with GMO pollen "contamination", somehow declaring that pollen is a
constituent of honey and not an ingredient.

In the case of USA, it probably uses de CODEX definition of honey

2.1 Definition
Honey is the natural sweet substance produced by honey bees from the nectar
of plants or from secretions of living parts of plants or excretions of
plant sucking insects on the living parts of plants, which the bees
collect, transform by combining with specific substances of their own,
deposit, dehydrate, store and leave in the honey comb to ripen and mature.
2.1.1 Blossom Honey or Nectar Honey is the honey which comes from nectars
of plants.
2.1.2 Honeydew Honey is the honey which comes mainly from excretions of
plant sucking insects (Hemiptera) on the living parts of plants or
secretions of living parts of plants.

The Codex Alimentarius
Commission<http://www.codexalimentarius.net/web/index_en.jsp> is
an overlooked international body with representatives of 136 governments,
about 100 food industry associations, several intergovernmental
organizations, and a smattering of consumer and other nongovernmental
organizations. Codex food standards are recognized by theWorld Trade
Organization <http://www.wto.org/> (WTO) as authoritative, so seemingly
small matters of wording in a standard often can have major international
trade consequences. The Codex has a duel (and often conflicting) mandate to
protect consumer health, as well as to write standards that facilitate
international trade.

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Could someone please explain to me, since there is no official USDA
> Standard of Identity that describes what actually constitutes "honey,"

Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.
Carrera 695
Gorbea - CHILE