From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:32:26 -0500
I'm with Sarah on this one. In the US, fake baby milk , aritificial,
manufactured, is called formula. That's the term I use. Formula.
If over 75% of moms and babes are starting out breastfeeding, and most of
them say they would like to breastfeed "as long as possible" -- we have
gotten out the word about the product.
I realize there are European and other countries that are very much
fighting the good fight on this one.
But it makes me feel sick to my stomach to write a note that says "mother
chose to give her baby abm to eat" - which when said aloud here would mean
"a bowel movement" - I'm sorry. That's just nasty. Moms - and women in
general - have too many real world challenges to do this to them.
We have worked hard in our community to be good to ALL mothers, to treat
ALL mothers respectfully, and to know that formula can never equal
breastmilk - as we work hard to help formula feeding moms have an intimate
relationship with their babies, so much harder when you are not
breastfeeding.
The mark of our success is that moms come back with their second, third and
even FOURTH babies and say, "I never breastfed before but I want to try it
this time."
And we don't hassle them for saying "try it" either.

Passionate on this topic,
Dawn Kersula in Brattleboro, VT where the Ski Jump competition managed to
fly because of manmade snow from Mount Snow Ski Resort!