Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:10:01 -0400
> I was wondering if any of you use, have tried or have thoughts about
> brood rearing in winter as described by H. J. Pirker in his articles...

I knew Henry and AFAIK he was a good beekeeper.  He was able to do things
others found too difficult or less than completely practical.  I think, also, that he
had an area with exceptional pollen.  I have noticed that this is often the
difference between one beekeeper's success and another's failure.  Dave Green
has remarked on that, too. It is not the amount, it is the quality and telling the
difference is not possible, except by the difference in results, which can be
stunning.

> I am thinking more in terms of overwintering success in short season
> areas and early season production of foragers as opposed to profitable
> package production. Many here overwinter indoors but the bees don't
> have the opportunity to fly out nor are the cold chambers suited for early
> stimulative feeding as described in these articles.

I was impressed by Henry's writing at the time and built a shed to imitate his
methods.  Unfortunately for me, the success depends on the quality of the hives
going into winter as much as anything else, and my colonies had been used for
comb production. Comb production is hard on bees in that they tend to have
lower populations in fall.

I also lacked Henry's devotion and self discipline, and, at any rate, it did not work
out for me.  That is not to say that the idea is not a good one, but in all the years
since he wrote the articles and spoke at meetings, no one has made a success
of producing packages and many of his neighbours find it more practical to haul
the bees to warmer areas for winter and for spring work.  The rest just winter in
buildings without entrances or winter in snowbanks outdoors.

For your purposes, and on a limited scale, a bee house could work quite well for
you, but it involves work and expense and devotion to the bees that simply feeding,
wrapping and going away until spring does not.  IMO, if your bees are strong,
healthy and free of disease and pests, and full of good feed and good pollen, then
wrapped and kept in a sheltered but sunny spot, you should have a build-up which
could have your bees swarming out of wrapped hives in early May.

Keep in mind, though, that if the hive is too warm, there is not much brood, and the
entrances are not controlled, the bees may fly excessively and dwindle.  I've seen
that more than a time or two.

Pushing bees too hard and too early can result in loss and also disease later.  Many
Alberta beekeepers are out now feeding their bees and putting on patties, but I
am not.  I'll wait a while and then do the same, and I'll bet my bees pass theirs and
will be less stressed and therefore healthier into the summer.

Hope that is helpful.