From:
Kristine Naess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:04:57 -0400
I was wondering if any of you use, have tried or have thoughts about brood rearing in winter as described by H. J. Pirker in his articles Package bee production in northern Canada (ABJ 1978 118(1) 14-16) and Brood rearing in the winter: factors and methods (Canadian Beekeeping 1980 8 (5) 69-71). I am thinking more in terms of overwintering success in short season areas and early season production of foragers as opposed to profitable package production. Many here overwinter indoors but the bees don't have the opportunity to fly out nor are the cold chambers suited for early stimulative feeding as described in these articles.

Thanks,
Kristine