Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:01:45 +0000
Sender:
>Hi all,
>
>I am a peer counselor and had two moms back to back with a similar
>issue this morning.  Both reported a lack of regular bowel movement
>in less-than-10-day-old newborns.  One baby wasn't having a daily
>bowel movement, and the other was having 1-2 blow out diapers a day.
>Neither baby is back to birth weight yet but they are close.

I think the 'thing' with bowel movements is that they are, as you
say, *part* of the picture.

The second baby would not be a concern, really, despite it being
fairly unusual. I would wonder if there is more than one 'episode' in
the nappy, so it looks like he is passing 1-2 a day but it could be
more, especially as there is a lot of it :)

The first baby is more of a concern, so you'd be looking at other
parts of the picture. Is the baby gaining weight (close to being back
to birthweight is good,  but it would be better to have a clearer
history ie has this baby stopped losing weight by day 4-5....probably
so). Is he feeding enthusiastically day and night, many times, not
needing to be woken or encouraged to stay awake, and clearly
transferring milk? Is he being fed responsively? Is the mother
comfortable and pain free?  Is he peeing ok? Has be passed meconium
in the earlier days and did it start to change colour?

If all those boxes are ticked, then in my experience all is
well....but I would want to be sure the baby *is* gaining weight ok,
that weights had been taken accurately,  and I would also want to be
sure I or someone I trusted (here, this would be the community
midwife) was *seeing* him as well, especially if I wasn't seeing him.

Hope this helps.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK

--