From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 07:27:55 -0800

> >I have not had any problems I can attribute to neonics in the past two
> years.

Glad to hear Stan!

> >treating the potato set itself, rather than foliar spraying or soil
> injection has greatly reduced (by an order of magnitude) the amount of
> imidacloprid used per acre/hectare, and the residue in succeeding crops.

This is clearly the best use of neonics--for treating the seed directly.

> >I continue to put bees in thiamethoxam seed treated canola.  It does not
> have the long residual life of imidacloprid or clothianidin.

Thiomethoxam rapidly breaks down into clothianidin, so I'm not sure that
there is much reason to talk about thiomethoxam residual life.

> > I do not see increased loss from those bees before or after winter.   I
> am told by the
> grower of most of the canola where I put bees that the thiamethoxam  will
> only protect the canola seedlings for about three weeks after emergence.

Glad to hear that observation.  Again, clearly the best use of
systemics--such that levels are reduced by the time that the plant grows
larger.

> >When canola was grown in fields following imidacloprid soil injected
> potatoes there were similar amounts of both neonics in both nectar and
> pollen, showing the much longer half life of imidacloprid.

I'm curious--could an alternative explanation be that there was initially a
much greater concentration of IMD due to its being injected?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA