Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:23:35 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Thankyou so much for your kind words Jean. They made my day. I'd encourage people to read it and if they work within health systems to get your service to consider developing education materials from it. Already one Australian health service is on the job developing materials. The emergency preparedness materials currently available to parents all over the world are woefully inadequate and quite dangerous. 
Anyway, it is worth noting that papers published by IBJ can be published elsewhere provided full credit is given and the photos can also be used freely with the citation (and if you're short on time and can't read the whole paper, scroll through to the end and  check out the photos- they tell the story pretty well)
Karleen Gribble
Australia

On 09/11/2011, at 5:18 AM, Kermaline Cotterman wrote:

> Karleen,
>  
> Congratulations! I just received notice of your new article and immediately took the time to read it in its entirety. I continually found myself flabbergasted at the number of things mentioned in the formula survival kits, but when you explained each in detail, as I visualized the potential risky places that evacuees may find themselves, I couldn't argue with a single item!!!
>  
> Even in non-emergency situations, it's obvious that 99% of caregivers of formula fed infants are ignorant (or in denial of) the presence of microbes in powdered formula and the inability of manufacturers to produce a sterile powdered product, as well as the difficulty in cleaning standard bottles and nipples. As your 3 dimensional step by step picture evolved, (assisted HUGELY by your illustrations;-), it occurred to me that this is hopefully going to awaken at least the relief agencies, and potentially savvy parents/relatives/caregivers to this drawback to formula feeding versus the continued normalcy of breastfeeding in the emergency situation. By definition, most emergencies happen unexpectedly: most recent example the early fall snowstorm that paralyzed transportation and knocked out electrical power for long periods in major portions of the northeastern U.S. last week!!!
>  
> Once again, I congratulate you, and in fact, sort of envy you how much satisfaction you must be feeling right now for having "had your say" for all of us. I confess I have an article that has been brewing for sometime that I hope to bring into being while I still have my marbles (I am now 81;-). The International Journal will be the venue to which I would like to shoot for.
>  
> Once again KUDOES!!!!!
>  
> Jean Cotterman

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2