From:
"Jaye Simpson, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2011 08:53:24 -0700
I agree with Marsha 100%.  Where does one draw the line?  If the parent
company refuses to comply with the Code, but the subsidiary does...the
parent company still gets the $$ and continues to violate the Code sending
mixed messages to all.

My personal ethics tell me that if the Parent Company is violating then the
subsidiary pays that price too.  Regardless of what the subsidiary does,
they are in effect violating the Code 'second-hand' so to speak.  If we
apply more stringent ethics to situations like this then perhaps the
subsidiary will stand up to the Parent company and begin to force the issue.

I see it like this:  (and yes this is a true story)  A little boy (18 mo
old) choked a 12 mo old little girl to make her get off a toy.  The mother
of the little boy gently spoke to him saying it wasn't OK to choke the
little girl.  The little girl is now off the toy and crying hysterically in
her mother's arms.  The little boy is then allowed to get on the toy!  He is
happy - he got what he wanted with virtually no repercussions to speak of.
If allowed to continue on like this the little girl will only know to be
afraid of the little boy and the little boy will know he can do what he
wants without repercussion.

Another story - similar and true.   9 yr old bully at my kids school.
Beating on anyone and everyone - hitting, kicking, punching, spitting and
biting.  The adults refuse to correct the situation as it will affect the
school's record to have any disciplinary issues on file (don't even ask
about my reaction to that!).  The problem went on for about 4 months.  My
boys are in the group being beaten on - they are 8 and 6.  I sat them down
and told them that they and their friends would need to take matters into
their own hands since the adults who should be taking care of the issue
refuse to do so and I have done everything I can to stop this situation.  So
they do.  The very next day, the bully starts beating on a much younger
child (5).  My kids holler for their friends (about 6 of them) and they drag
the bully to where the adults won't see and 'take care of business'.  The
bully left that day with a black eye and a bloody nose...but he never hit
another child at that school - and he eventually made some friends too.

In essence - the first story shows the Parent company bullying and the
subsidiary submitting.  The second shows the Parent Company bullying and the
subsidiary fighting back for what is right.  And the gain for the Parent
Company was - well, more friends.  Evenflo had that gain initially...now
they will lose it.

So - is it time for the kids (subsidiaries) to take things into their own
hands?  Maybe...maybe not.  But I do believe that our ethics need to be
firm, clear and consistent.  What we allow...we promote...

Warmly,
Jaye

Jaye Simpson, IBCLC, CIIM
Breastfeeding Network