From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2011 08:10:45 +0100
Ellen

Great history!  But rather than suspecting
progesterone given during pregnancy as a cause of
low milk production (the last dose would have
been taken at least 3 weeks ago, and in the
normal course of events the sharp drop in
progesterone occuring with delivery of the
placenta allows Lactogenesis II to happen in the
following 36-72 hours) I'd be considering
retained placental fragments.  Does mom have
heavy bleeding, clots, bright red discharge, any
other symptoms?  Or any injectable contraceptives
(though it sounds preposterous, this is not
completely unknown ...) Could mom's _current_
progesterone levels be tested?  And how are her thyroid levels?

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England
----------------------------

I would really appreciate any thoughts on
strategies to help this Mom’s milk
supply.  I’ve been in touch with Mom via email
and phone as a LLL Leader.   I’ve wondered if
the progesterone to stop preterm labor
administered through 35 weeks could have delayed
her milk supply increasing.  Mom was induced at 36 weeks.   Permission to post.

Thanks!

Ellen Rubin, MA, IBCLC, LLLL

This was the story yesterday........