From:
"K. Jean Cotterman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:31:48 -0500
Nikki writes:

<<
http://www.womensenews.org/story/reproductive-health/111106/infant-formula-companies-milk-us-food-program
"

Monday, November 7, 2011

*The U.S. is joining a global consensus about the public-health importance
of breast milk. But a federal agency with huge sway over infant nutrition
still distributes more than half the infant formula sold in the nation. A
special investigation of infant formula and WIC.*

Lest others both outside and within the U.S. find this last statement incomprehensible, I felt the need to write.

Rule #1 is still, and always will be: "Feed the Baby".

It should be self-evident to all that it is impossible to make breastfeeding mandatory (and problem free), even by outright legislation! The need to change our particular culture is ongoing and very challenging. We still have a long way to go, and every mother is effected somehow by advertising and the various people and media surrounding her.

WIC does far more than suggested by the quote, supplying nutrition education and many, many more services that you can discover by simply googling "Women, Infants and Children", or simply "WIC". Many will be surprised at the level of family income that still qualifies a family for WIC enrollment.

As a WIC volunteer, I am impressed with all the practices I have seen in instilling breastfeeding friendly attitudes in our entire office staff (many of whom have actually been breastfeeding mothers themselves, and have relatives whom they support in breastfeeding, etc.), as well as providing educational and other breastfeeding-friendly policy support to the clinical staff.

All commercial influences and literature were long ago removed from the clinic premises. It is my impression that much of this policy comes down from the federal level to be carried out by management at the local level by different kinds of health organizations in each locale in each state. Different WIC administrators contract with different formula manufacturers.

At our site, coupons, are issued (not formula itself) and direct contact with the products (mothers' and baby's) occurs at the grocery store, not at the clinic site.

There is a definite limit to the number of formula coupons issued so that once a baby reaches about 10 pounds, mothers who continue to desire formula must end up finding a way to pay for additional formula after the WIC coupon  supply is exhausted each month.

The RD staff in our facility does what I consider a beautiful and sensitive job of listening to each mother's situation and concerns, giving them nutrition education and breastfeeding support, quite often referring them to the lactation staff for more support and further clarification of their goals. This is to remove any impression of pressure upon the mother who requests some formula, yet provides the incentive of more food for the mother who is exclusively breastfeeding.

Those mothers who partially breastfeed are given encouragement and informatiion, to either increase their milk supply so as to qualify for this incentive, or seriously consider coninuing partial breastfeeding versus complete weaning, in order not to have to buy extra formula at the end of the month. Those mothers returning to work or school receive excellent support and guidance, in certain situations extending even the loan of a quality double electric pump.

I don't know if all other WIC projects are able to do the same, but I feel incredibly privileged to work with our entire WIC staff.  My personal way of trying to meet the needs of clients I speak to is to tell them "Our job is to give you reliable information you can understand how to use. It's then your choice to decide what will work best in your situation for your baby and you."

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC  Dayton OH