From:
Mary-Jane Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 06:45:02 -0500
Susan wrote:

As a non-nurse IBCLC, I rather resent the tone of the  article.

Personally, I'd prefer that this hospital keep their RN IBCLCs  and hire
more non-RN IBCLCs to work with non-medical cases.  I don't know  the
population this hospital serves, but most moms don't need the skills of an  RN to
get them started on breastfeeding."

And this is what posted to our local lactation listserve with the link to
this article:

This is so wrong on so many levels. But I think that it  is important to
add that I do not agree that being an RN or other medical  professional n
ecessarily means one will be a good lactation consultant.  Many of the best
IBCLCs I know are not nurses. Unfortunately, many  hospital-based RN IBCLCs see
only babies in the newborn period and would  not have the experience with
working with lactation issues that come up with the  older baby. During the
first 15  years or so of the IBCLC  certification process, most candidates for
the IBCLC exam were breastfeeding  counselors from La Leche League or
Nursing Mothers Council. They had  years of experience with all ages of nurslings
and had seen  complex nursing issues that are not always manifested in the
early days.  Nowadays, most candidates for the IBCLC exam, at least in North
America, are  medical professionals of one type or another. Being an RN
myself, I always try  to minimize the "medicalization" of breastfeeding by
trying to have more of a  counseling role. Too much "hands on" and "doing" for
mothers does not always  help them to develop or use their own inner
strengths, and/or help them to feel  confident in their own abilities. Unfortunately,
the one thing that I  feel that is a "medical" issue, tongue tie and its
effect on breastfeeding, is  not looked upon as being significant or worthy of
being fixed. Sigh..feeling sad  for the mothers and babies in the Worcester
area.

Mary-Jane Sackett, RN, IBCLC
Pittsfield, MA (about 1.75 hours west of  Worcester)