From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2011 14:38:19 -0500
The early research was done by Jean Cranston Anderson and then Sue
Luddington Hoe. Jean has many research articles showing basics and benefits
to preterm infants. Sue wrote"Kangaroo Care: The Best You Can Do to Help
Your Preterm Infant" in 1993.  Somewhere along the line some wise woman
said - if it's so good for premies, wouldn't it be good for the fullterm
baby? And the Skin-to-Skin movement was born.
We now know that babies transition so much more naturally and it really
helps get breastfeeding off to a good start, instead of separating mother
and baby.  Dr Anderson was very out spoken about mother-baby separation in
many of her articles.

One of my favorite articles was by Dr Anderson in 1989!!!!!!!!!
"Risk of Mother-Infant Separation Postbirth", IMAGE: J Nurs Scholarship,
Vol.21, No.4, pp.196-199.

I wrote my master's thesis in 1994 on how long it takes to get from research
to practice in nursing.  I figured about 20-30 years at that time, so it
figures that many nurses are just discovering SSK 20 years or so after Dr
Anderson's and Dr Hoe's articles :-(  Pat in SNJ