HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sue Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:14:29 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

I get this question all the time, and it can be a real challenge to find
answers.  To respond effectively to these questions, a very useful web site
was developed through the joint efforts of the National Trust for Historic
Preservation, The Archaeological Conservancy, the Society for American
Archaeology, the Society for Historical Archaeology, the National
Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers, and two National Park
Service Cultural Resource offices (Heritage Preservation Services and the
Archeology Program).

This web site, "Strategies for Protecting Archeological Sites on Private
Lands," has just been updated.  Please visit at --
http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/pad/strategies.html.  Note that this is a
new web address -- please update your web links if you have linked to the
previous version of "Strategies."  If you haven't linked to this web site
yet, I encourage you to make the link so its content can be available to
your colleagues and constituents.

"Strategies" continues to be a popular guide to the wide variety of tools
available for protecting archeological sites on private lands.  The site
contains information on strategies currently being used throughout the
U.S., case studies, keys to success, contact information, and links to
other sources of useful information.  Key strategies include -- Land
Ownership, Financial Strategies, Development Regulation, Laws Specific to
Archeology, Voluntary Strategies, and Site Management.

Please share this message with others who might be interested in this
topic.  I hope you find this information helpful in protecting important
archeological sites that you value.

Susan L. Renaud, RPA
Senior Resource Planner, Archaeologist
Preservation Planning Program Manager