HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:23:30 -0400
Here at Ft Toulouse / Ft Jackson we have remains from 3 French forts
and one 1814 American fort. These overlap and range from ca 20% TO 90%
remaining primarily due to erosion.

The replica, not reconstruction, of the 1751 French fort is located
ca. 400 yards away from original site in a locale having no
archaeological components present. The replica French fort is used for
interp and living history. A factor is that the majority of the
American fort  perimeter exists. It was an earth work and can be
duplicated on its original site with earth deposited  and sealing
archaeological deposits.

No argument about the replica at Ft Caroline  not the original site and
it is (IIRC) 2/3 scale .  ( Was a ranger there in 1969)

Jim Parker

>I am looking for examples of historic site reconstructions that are
>positioned in proximity to the structure's original (excavated) sites.
>am
>aware of the reconstructed Ft. Seminoe (in Wyoming) which was erected a
>short distance from the excavated foundations of the original fort.
Does