Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:58:55 -0500
I have worked with moms with history of overproduction (we're talking 40 ounces above baby's needs, donating to two other babies!)  With second baby we followed the directions for baby-led, mother-directed attachment, mother reclined at 15-30 degrees and comfortable, moving baby from breast to breast whenever falling asleep or latch changed. Wonderful results with adequate supply but not excessive supply. No mastitis.  When mothers have a high supply and especially high storage capacity, the unused breast continues to make milk. When baby goes to that side, there is a reaction to the forcefulness of let-down (more milk stored, heavier the let-down).  It's equivalent to a bellows shoving the milk at the baby with let-down.  My sister has cows.  If she wants the cow to make just enough for the family and not too much, she puts the calf on from the start and doesn't start milking for a few days. If she wants more milk, she starts milking earlier and milks once a day. If she wants even more milk, she milks twice a day plus let's the calf on.  It's supply and demand even with cows!  The higher producing breeds have more issues with mastitis.  And guess what!  Cows get nipple damage and sore nipples and wish they had a nipple shield! JK ;-)