From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2011 11:02:48 +0200
Sheila Stubbs mentioned, and Judy LeVan Fram commented on:
"...a recent post on facebook's "I love Babywise" page  from a mom who
didn't know what to do about her 3-month-old who will not focus on eating.
"She will suck 2-3 times, then pop her head up, look at me for about 30
seconds, then start laughing/smiling, suck 2-3 more times & then do it
again." The mom decided this meant she was not hungry and ended the feeding
session. At naptime the baby cried & cried, but she can't feed again until
after the nap. Mom is at her wits end. How sad, that she is so worried
about  keeping the schedule that she can't just enjoy this sweet exchange
with her baby girl!

Isn't it grand that we have Babywise to keep manipulative little rascals
like this baby from Using the Breast for Something Completely Different from
What It's Meant for, since that NICU nurse I mentioned in my post can only
manage to enlighten the very limited number of families she comes in contact
with in her NICU?  We always insist on complete silence except for the sound
of cutlery on plates and discreet chewing and swallowing noises  at our
adult dinner gatherings - what would the world come to if we were to
interrupt the ingestion of nutrients to talk to each other, not to mention
LAUGH, before our plates were clean?  Honestly, some people have no idea
about the risk of conversation or levity in connection with meals.  As we
all know, one of the main health problems in the world is inability to get
enough calories because we just don't 'focus on eating'.  If we could just
convince more people to follow Babywise we could eliminate the dread specter
of underweight completely.

I know lots of truly lovely NICU nurses, I collaborate with them very
frequently in my working life, and I am happy that no mother in
my hospital has ever recounted such an incident to me.  We have lots and
lots of grads from our NICU who are exclusively breastfed when they go home
or shortly thereafter.  I do not in any way consider that nurse in Oslo to
be representative of all her colleagues, but the climate in her ward was
conducive to that kind of comment and the nurses there who really did seem
to get it were a minority, which was very sad to see, because you can just
picture the mothers going home and interpreting a baby's playfulness at the
breast as a refusal to 'focus on eating'.  How monstrous, and how scary that
the mother could use this as a reason to love Babywise, instead of seeing it
as the root cause of her and her child's misery.

Shudder.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway