From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:52:15 -0400
Dear all:

I really appreciate Rachel Myr's finding the book that I felt was missing, about the emotional needs of infants during feeding and how to encourage mothers who are formula feeding to do so in ways that are more like breastfeeding.  I find that our biggest problem now is that breastfeeding women are taught to breastfeed like formula feeders and formula feeders  which is the wrong way around.  In the process of lazily trying to google the book, of course a formula company website popped up and not only did it pop up but a section on their own history which is actually an indictment of what they did.

Between 1910 and 1919, they introduced their first infant feeding product -- powdered milk with a digestive aid.  During the next interval 1020-1929 they introduced a new digestive aid to cope with the one in five deaths (gee, could it have been that powdered milk, ya think? ).  The top causes of death were gastrointestinal problem and digestive orders.

I still remember the maternal and child nutrition classes at both Hopkins and Cornell on the shocking risk in infant deaths.  The fact that the formula industry can proudly display this very history on their website is a feat of illogic beyond my comprehension.

http://www.meadjohnson.com/Company/Pages/Our-History.aspx

Best, Susan E. Burger.