From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:01:11 -0500
Using the scale and whether or not an LC is a health professional can
be related.

I've already posted that I do use the scale. Depends on the situation,
but my in-hospital practice involves early followup visits in which a
baby's weight is a routine part of the visit.
Luckily I don't have to carry it around, as it is in my office.
I agree with this statement made by Susan Burger, "When you really
understand the scale and measurement, you understand that one single
number by itself is simply not enough.  You can never use a scale in
isolation because it is merely a number.  You have to put that number
into context.  You cannot put the number in context without doing a
very thorough history, careful observations, and lots of dialogue with
the mother."

Whether or not an LC (IBCLC) is a health professional, I would have to
say yes. If you look at the exam template and the knowledge and skills
needed, you will see that it is very in depth. There are issues
related to anatomy, physiology, prematurity, medications, public
health, research, etc. In my mind, an IBCLC is quite a different
practitioner than an LLL leader or peer counselor. And I do believe it
depends somewhat on where you practice. This is why I beleive there
are now regional ILCA associations, like USLCA, dealing with issues
specific to that region. For example, IBCLCs working in USA have to
work within the insurance and Medicaid systems and reimbursement,
diagnosis codes, and the like. We have to work within the healthcare
system in place here, which involves hospital births, 30 to 40% c/s
rates, very high tech nicu care, and the like. The followup system
typically involves care by pediatricians usually, sometimes family
practice doctors, who (in my region) see baby at 2 wks old, then 2
mos, 4 mos, 6 mos. In my hospital-based practice, the LC is even
involved in the assessment and measurement of jaundice (we use a
transcutaneous bilichek tool)  in consultation with the doctor, if
needed. Jaundice, wt loss, and breastfeeding are quite related in my
experience.

Ideally, mothers would have easy and affordable access to
mother-to-mother support counselors and groups, IBCLCs, and
bf-friendly doctors and hospitals and birthing centers.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA