Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2011 11:43:51 -0600
Sender:
The truth about this is the hospital is trying to cut expenses and still be the good guy by contracting out services.  And here is where the rubber will meet the road.  When the level of need for services exceeds the ability of the personnel to provide, the pump company will have to hire more workers.  When the expense of those workers exceeds the profit to the company, they will either cut personnel, cut services or cut salaries.  No difference between contracted providers and in house providers, given the level of expertise is similar.  Not debating that one.  The real issue here is:  can a person working as an LC make a self-supporting living under this method?  I am going to bet NOT. I have heard the woes of some of the private PPLC's on here in getting enough clients to exist.  If she is paid by the hour, the hourly pay will be decreased when the profit decreases.  If she is paid by the consult, only her own personal values will determine the number of clients she will see at the level of service required.  This is true in all work relationships.  Hourly workers or piece workers - it is the level of work ethic and desire to achieve that control what is given to the work. My question is how is the hospital paying the contracter?  If they are paying by the case, it will benefit them to decrease breastfeeding rates to decrease their expenses.  If they pay a flat fee, it won't matter. This is somewhat like fee for service versus drg-based pay vs capitated pay for healthcare. When there's a flat fee involved, there is no motivation to see the patient, much better motivation to NOT see.  When there's unit-based fees, more motivation to see the patient but in less time.  Just logic here.