From:
Terri Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:52:45 -0400
Dear collegues,
I just wanted to post what is happening with my end regarding tongue-ties. I work in a hospital setting seeing moms mostly 1-2 days rarely 3 if a C/S or other issues. I have a wonderful Pediatrician that is willing to come in and clip if I refer the baby to her. I usually discuss it with the mom as an option for her. These babies don't always do a bottle very well either. I had one mom her first baby didn't get clipped until she was 6 wks old because mom tried to tolerate the pain but couldn't keep up her milk supply so stopped before having it clipped. Her second baby also had tongue tie and I recommend she have the ped evaluate her baby. The partner of this ped wouldn't refer her baby because he didn't think it was bad enough. I wanted to tell him sure it's not your breast that is getting bitten and becoming raw meat.
I only insisted that this mom is having alot of discomfort when this baby nurses. He can feed from a bottle but he doesnt' really do well with that either. His was not tight but the tongue was also short. I told the mom she could make an appointment with the other Ped just to evaluate the situation but she hasn't.
This is so frustrating. I always tell the mom, since I have assisted her in clipping that it doesn't usually bleed and the baby is only upset because of the clamp to hold it in place while clipping. Baby usually goes right to breast after and they nurse well, not in pain and mom no longer is in pain other than what damage may have already been done.
I guess we just keep doing what we do in hopes we can spread the word and promote healthy babies.