From:
Anne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:37:07 -0400
Yes, Jennifer, you did!  If I am interpreting data correctly, baby has been gaining an ounce per day (both scales are recording the same weight change per day) so she is moving forward but not at a great clip...plus she needs to catch up.  Giving EBM in a bottle after every feeding will help to get her there so that is great advice.
It is a lot of extra work to breastfeed, bottle feed and pump with 3 other kids.  Since she gave up with the others, she may find it easier to nurse once baby gets back to where she wants to be on the growth curve.  So temporarily giving baby extra milk (more than she can probably pump) may be the key now.  Remember that banked breast milk can be used before formula if mom is adamant against using it.  You need a prescription and it is expensive but it is the next best alternative.  If not then formula will help baby catch up sooner and make breastfeeding much easier.
Keeping mom pumping after each feed will maintain or grow her supply...which may have already slipped down because of the slow weight gain.  Hand expression can help too.  Once baby is caught up with weight, mom will likely have boosted her supply enough by pumping/hand expressing for baby to take over at the breast, although there is always some transition.
Keep up the good work!
Annie Brown, FNP, IBCLC
Greenwich CT