From:
Amy West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 20:24:58 -0400
It's pretty likely that the formula companies are acquiring addresses in
ways that are 100% legal.  (Why go to the trouble of doing it illegally,
when doing it above board is so easy and accessible, right?)

Some examples of where they get their info:

-Websites like the Bump (that was already mentioned), BabyCenter, Babyzone,
WebMD, etc-.. Basically any of the "your pregnancy week by week" type sites
have that info and are apt to sell it. (The sites I listed may or may not
have done this; I'm just giving examples of the types of sites that are
collection points for personal info, that could have "we're going to sell
your info" clauses buried deep in their TOU.)

-You know the grocery store, baby store, etc- loyalty programs? The tag they
give you for your keychain that gets you store discounts is also tracking
all your purchases. That means when a mom buys diapers at the grocery store,
the formula companies can buy that information. So even if a mom is
diligently trying NOT to have that information go to the formula companies,
it's pretty likely that her transactions are being recorded and that
information is being shared/sold.

Those are just a couple, of course. It seems like one way or another,
they're going to get their hands on that info.

Best,
Amy West, CLC