From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:36:24 -0700
I have two chairs in my living room that look like this:
http://www.scandinaviandesigns.com/home_living_recliners_chairs/item/1902
(No financial interests)

They are small compared to many of the big recliners, and were a lot less
expensive than the others I had seen.  I have a small living room, and these
normally face the TV.  They swivel to face the rest of our chairs when we
have guests - or when I have my La Leche League group meetings.  THIS is the
chair that all mothers having trouble breastfeeding sit in (yes, I kick out
those who are doing OK to the rest of the furniture.).  It can be straight
or tilted, but the mom controls the angle rather than being stuck in
specific positions.  The footstool can be close or far from the chair, which
also allows for different-sized people, and it does not require leg strength
to sit up, something that can be very uncomfortable when a mom has had a
cesarean birth.

Just this week a couple and their baby came to the group from a few towns
away because ours was the only group meeting this week.  Mom sat and then
reclined in the chair, I asked her to "open the cafeteria" and Daddy put the
sleeping baby on her chest.  I went to the kitchen to wash my hands in case
she needed some additional help.

By the time I came back, baby was nursing fantastically and all the moms in
the group (including 2 WIC Peer Counselors) and the dad were celebrating
this baby's wonderful skills! Mom was SOOO happy! The only thing I did was
teach Dad, who had a better angle, what I was observing in terms of the
baby's position (chin away from baby's chest and deeply against the mom's
breast, gravity providing full body support and contact, cheeks rounded and
long draws and pauses indicating good swallows) and how to help mom get more
comfortable (I have lots of small pillows) and avoid shoulder or arm
stiffness.  AFTER all this, I learned.he is an MD/Internist!  Sooo now think
of the good this knowledge/information will be for others (peers and
patients) he will see!

Jeanette Panchula, BA-SW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

California, USA