From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:30:00 -0500
Jaye says:  "Even Medela states the PIS isn't the same as a hospital grade
and is not ideal for bringing in a milk supply!  This mom is only 7 days
pp.she needs a hospital grade pump - not a 3 yr old overused pump that no
one has any idea of how well it actually is working.and she is only pumping
1 oz at a time.sigh.

Why is this inaccurate information still out there?  This inconsistent
information (that I apologized to the mom about) is one of the biggest
frustrations I have.  Some things should be 'known' by now, shouldn't they?"

I don't think we can make a "blanket" statement as you are wanting.

   1)  I check the strength of the symphony pumps and the PNS pumps all the
time.  Both seem to

       consistently pull at 250 mmHg.

2)        When moms have a "used" pump - I offer to check the strength and
integrity.

3)           The factor that REALLY warrants the use of a hospital grade
pump would be "how many times a day" she is needing to pump.  The PNS (or
any store bought pump) is made to last at about 3 pumpings a day.  The
hospital grade is made to last for 10 plus pumpings a day.  So . if a mom is
having to pump more than 3 times a day, she should use a hospital grade.
But, if the pumps are pulling at the same strength, and mom is willing to
take the chance on "wearing out" her PNS . is it "wrong" for her to use
it???

4)           If the hospital grade pump is "more comfortable" to mom thus
she is able to "relax" more during the process of pumping, then she should
make the switch while establishing a healthy supply.

5)           Could it be that Medela states this as just another money
making ploy?

6)           What if mom is on her last baby and her pump checks out at
pulling at proper strength . and she only plans to breastfeed for 4-6 months
and doesn't give bottles once her supply is established?  I just think that
each case still needs to be individualized to their own situation and that
blanket statements don't fit every need.

Respectfully,

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC

Capital Pediatric Group

Austin,Tx