From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 07:25:34 +0100
Sounds like the maternal hives might be PUPPP, or Pruritic Urticaria
Papules & Plaques of Pregnancy , a rare syndrome of red, pruritic
papules principally on the abdomen and thighs, without
excoriations.  The lesions usually occur late in pregnancy and
disappear within two weeks after delivery.  In many, a marked halo
surrounds the small papules and plaques.  Focal lesions are rare, and
they are never on the face or distal extremities.  There are no
abnormal hCG levels and immunoflorescence reveals no immunoglobulin
complement.  Symptomatic treatment and occasionally corticosteroid
therapy are curative in resistant cases.  There's a similar condition
called Herpes Gestationis (not true herpes) occurring 2 - 3:10 000
gestations, but it sounds blistery.   Thus nothing to do with
breastfeeding, and weaning should not be necessary!

The Archives might show that Lactnetters gave me help with the above
info for a client in about March 2001!  My notes at the time
documented that my client said the itching (almost like hives)
started about two weeks before birth, spread rapidly all over with
intense itching, involved abdomen, chest, inside arms, and was very
uncomfortable.  I suggested she see her GP to find out what it was
and  if it could be treated.  She was immediately concerned about the
possibility of any prescription drugs being excreted in her milk, but
I suggested she ask the baby's paediatrician if there is any concern
about medications being compatible with breastfeeding and that
usually mothers can be treated, babies can be breastfed and everyone
can be happy!  There were none. I'd seen about four mothers in 10
years with a rash similar to this.    The info had been found n
Current Obstetric & Gynecologic Diagnosis & Treatment (unsure author,
publisher and year), but you can maybe find out more by searching PUPPP.

Hope this helps.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England