From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 08:51:26 -0300
On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>

>In the wax moth larvae they grow an entomopatogenic nematode, that is
latter

> released in the field to find another larvae (hopefully the burrito one) to
> keep on reproducing.
>
> <http://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=4959>

I did not get many hits when I searched nematode control of this pests,
except one paper from a Gonzalez at the Univ. of Chile (in Spanish).  But
got this:

* *

*Curculionidae*.--Adults of *Naupactus* *xanthographus* (Germar) consume
grape buds and leaves in Chile (Gonzalez 1983). Damage also occurs when
feces adheres to foliage and fruit clusters. Combined damage by adult and
larval feeding on roots weaken vines. A complex of pathogens (bacteria,
fungi), nematodes and insects attack larvae and pupae in the soil. A
nematode of the family Rhabditidae parasitizes 4th-5th instars. The same
nematode attacks other Coleoptera and can be reared on wax moth larvae, *
Galleria* *melonella* (L.). Gonzalez (1983) reported that larvae are often
attacked by nematodes that are transported in irrigation water, but the
degree of control was not evaluated. Of importance as a natural enemy is *
Platystasius* sp (*Fidiobia* sp.). Up to 60% of the egg masses under the
bark can be attacked. Gonzalez (1983) reported that its action in
conjunction with the complex of other natural enemies is sufficient to keep
*N*. *xanthographus* below the economic threshold.

*Otiorhynchus* *sulcatus* (F.), the black vine weevil, is important in
horticultural crops in Europe, the United States, Canada, Australia and New
Zealand. Adults seriously damage berry pedicels and cluster stems and larvae
feed on roots in Europe and central Washington (Bedding & Miller 1981). The
application of aqueous suspensions of infective juvenile *Heterorhabditis* *
heliothidis* (Khan, Brooks & Hirschmann) to the soil resulted in up to 100%
parasitism of larvae of *O*. *sulcatus* in potted grapes in nurseries. Pupae
and newly emerged adults were also parasitized. *Steinernema*
*bibionis*(Bovien) was found less effective.

end quote

Since o.sulcatus is an important pest in Canada, I am interested to know
more about raising nematodes.  Could you give a little more information
please on how the culture of the nematodes is done and how they are
applied.  Is the ditch around the blueberry field (the "moat") also for
burrito control?

Stan