From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:14:44 -0400
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Am I missing something here? How can you show a cause and effect
> relationship with something that is undetectable? Particularly if detectable
> levels have not shown the suggested effect.
>
> If you looked at women who took thalidomide, you would not see damage.  If
you looked at their children, you would see effects on a percentage,  but
would not be able to find any thalidomide in the affected children.

So, Dennis Van Engelsdorp explained that they did not  see major effects on
the generation of nurse bees that still had detectable levels.  But the
generation of bees that those nurse bees fed showed effects compared to the
controls.   I remember him saying that the experiment changed his
thinking.   I have been waiting more than 18 months for the paper to come
out since he described it to us.  I think we should wait a little longer to
read it to be fair.

Stan