Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:02:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
 I do not think we can ever tell a mother that we are certain that any outcome will result from any intervention or lack thereof. OTOH, we can be pretty certain of some things.

I have worked with hundreds of TT babies. I have witnessed hundreds of revisions of posterior ties. And maxillary restrictions. More than 95% of my TT babies have gone onto bf successfully after revision, but probably 99% of them have had structural work, so they are clearly a skewed group. 

But, I have also worked with moms with older babies and children with TT, I have an 18yr old daughter with PTT, had a PTT myself (had it revised in October) and have some close friends whose children have been revised between the ages of 3-7. 

No matter what research exists, I will continue to discuss my personal and clinical experiences of TT as relates to speech. Frankly, the impact is stunning. As an example, my friend's 7 year old was in speech therapy for one year with no improvement in speech. I have known him since birth and could barely understand a word he said. He had been breastfed for over 4 years, never had an artificial nipple, had bodywork since infancy.

Within days of having both frenula revised, he could make sounds and say words he had never said clearly. Within months, he no longer "qualifies" for speech therapy. Sadly, the therapist has no interest in exploring this issue with the other children she works with. This kids life has changed 100% bc he is no longer embarrassed and bc he can now be understood. He might well have faced a life of bullying and perhaps "special ed" stemming from his speech impediments. Not any more.

He is only one example I have seen. The results are astounding. Mothers often comment immediately after clipping that infants suddenly make new sounds. Children whose moms are considering speech therapy no longer require any intervention at all or kids in intervention quickly make progress. 

My own daughter was an acting major in an arts high school for three years. At one point, I had a conversation with her voice teacher and mentioned her TT. He said "well, that explains it". "It" is her difficulty with projection. She has never had "speech" problems of any kind, has great teeth and talked very early and clearly. But, projection? Never has gotten it. And, she does these tongue-twisting kinds of things with certain words that our family has always found endearing--but I am sure they are a result of hindered mobility. She is also lucky that I know the things I do and have the resources I do, bc that has been the least of her problems related to her TT. Which she refuses to have revised, even though I did mine. And the first thing she noticed when I did? My speech was clearer.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2