Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:07:52 EDT

Sarah writes:

of time  of increased PVR from crying (causing an increase in RA

~~~
Just to be clear, is PVR =- Pulmonary Ventricular Pressure
and RA = Right Atrial
Not being a cardiac expert, just want to clarify...
On another track, the crying issue may be one that we don't have to push so
 hard to make it more than it is. It's possible that extended, hard crying,
 especially without anyone beloved in contact with the baby as it's
happening  could set up a hormonal/ chemical and physical state that leads to
actual  physical damage/failure to achieve a norm. If we don't really know, but
it make  sense physiologically, we can theorize about it. We DO know that
elevated  cortisol levels in the brain have long-term effects, yes? It makes
sense to many  of us that this is BAD for babies and also for those who are in
their lives to  love and care for/with them. But this may be one of those
things we educate  about with our common sense and making links with
physiology to the extent we  can, without making other claims we can't substantiate.
If we "push" too far  into areas we cannot know are causal, I think we lose
credibility in the long  run. As many of us have experienced,  we are held
to a much higher ethical  and academic/educational standard the many other
HCPs or companies who make  claims they can't substantiate all the time and
they never seem to lose  credibility... Sigh...

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA