From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 20:37:29 -0600
Hi all,
I know we talked recently about a "new study" which was really a
review article that got caught up in the media. It started people
talking about or advising to start solids at 4 months instead of 6
months. I'm not at work now, but I followed the discussion and the
letters to the editor etc. What I hear from a nurse today who sees our
lead pediatrician (a bf advocate, typically) is that she is being
advised of a change in peds practice to start solids at 4 months
(cereal and meat) for the iron. Was this a part of the recommendations
after that review?
What I'd like to know is if anyone has anything from an official
agency like the AAP, and recent, that re-affirms waiting til around 6
months. Or something somewhat "official" saying the jury is still out,
let's not change anything yet.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA