Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:09:04 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (62 lines)
So if mold is there but not yet visible, what is the best method to clean this white diaphragm? I'm thinking of the mom pulling her own pump out of the closet after 2 years and a new baby, or the mom who insists on using her sister's PIS (that was "only used twice"). Is this a 10% bleach kind of thing or is there a better way? And I guess there is no way to remove that white diaphragm to really clean it well, right?
Phyllis

---- [log in to unmask] wrote: 

=============
If you take apart the faceplate on the pump, you will see that there is a rubber/latex part that completely covers the motor.  The piston part of the pump is behind this rubber "membrane".  When the piston moves backwards, it pulls against the rubber part creating vacuum seal between the edge of this "diaphram" and the underside of the faceplate.  This in turn is translated into the suction control and the tubings going to the part of the flanges touching the breast and breastmilk.  Moisture CAN enter the tubings and onto the rubber diaphragm and in a hot dark environment yeast/mold that is present in the air CAN grow in these areas.  Any pump that has a flexible section that creates suction can and WILL grow mold in there - it just may not be visible - due to condensation plus the presence of mold in the air plus heat plus air.  Look in your shower if you let it go long enough between thorough cleanings.  
I like to tell moms how to remove the faceplate (it comes off pretty easily) and inspect it or let it dry, don't store it in the trunk of your car or a hot attic, etc.  

And as I've said before, EVERY single thing on God's green earth is either growing or dying.  Apply as you will. Including our profession.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jennifer Welch
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: Mold in pumps

Thanks for everyone's honesty and courage to be so candid in your replies.

The rep emphatically denied that this was possible or that they had received any reports of mould anywhere.  I would encourage that if you do find problems, report it to Medela and document it for your own records.

I plan to speak to the Medela rep again on this subject.  I was not sure about stocking their products for various reasons: insufficient financial means on my part, code violations, to name a few.  Now, I do not feel I can confidently recommend their products.  My trust is shaken.  I will look at the research that some of you mentioned before I speak to the rep.  I want to be prepared this time!

In my area, we have not yet seen the Hygeia.  But we do have Ameda.  For most mums, the Ameda PY is a great pump.  And their closed system is absolutely closed, without doubt.  My experience with this pump has been quite positive.  Through nursing 3 kids well past the toddler years and a fair bit of pumping as they got older, I have never seen so much as a speck of condensation make it in to my tubing and the motor has held up well.  I've only needed to replace the white valves and get the newer BPA-free flanges.  And when I hear of moms getting a second-hand PY, I am not concerned as long as they get themselves a new kit.  In the PY, there is clearly a secure diaphram that completely seals off the tubes from the flanges/shells.  There are a fair number of Ameda distributers in my area, including a few locations renting the Elite.  I'd love to see the Hygeia make it's way north, it looks quite interesting.  I would love to check it out.

Jennifer Welch, IBCLC, LLL
Montreal, QC, Canada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2