From:
Michele Trosclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2011 20:46:24 -0500
My son was born at 28w3d 6 days ago.  I have PCOS so I've always struggled with not pumping more than 2-3 oz when I was seperated from my babies.  I did great with my previous son, mostly exclusive breastfeeding for 7 months, since I returned to work when he was 7 months old.  I took Glucophage 1000 mg/day the entire duration of my previous pregnancy, but with this pregnancy I only took it until I was 10 wks because the perinatalogist said it could cause hypoglycemia in the baby.  Between my 3rd and 4th child, I had been breastfeeding for 7 yrs straight. I had to wean my son when I was 14 weeks pregnant since I had developed complications with this pregnancy. When I found out I was pregnant this time, I was told to get off Glucophage at 10 wks due to side effects of hypoglycemia for the baby.  I had my GTT test the day before I ruptured and passed.  I restarted Glucophage and Motherlove More Milk Special Blend, which I also took for my previous pregnancy after his birth, this week.  As of now, I'm only pumping 4ml every 3 hrs at 6 days postpartum.  I never experienced this before with my other pregnancies.  But this is the only baby of mine that is premature. And as we all know, stress can delay lactogenesis.  Plus I have a subfascial hematoma and endometritis.  Also I became anemic 4 days postpartum, and received 2 units of blood.  My question to you in working with moms experiencing this, did they eventually obtain a full milk supply with delayed lactogenesis?

Michele Trosclair RN IBCLC